PB 'realism'

• Admin

Since we're discussing PBs in general lately here's a question from me.

When you pick PBs do you care about 'realism' or do you go for the general fit between the picture/artwork's looks and your character? And when you see others using a specific type of PB does that influence your responses if there is a perceived discrepancy?

For example if you're playing a thuggish fighter type but your model is a slender more delicate looking person, or it's a figure skater as depicted by Chris Hemsworth, etc... is that okay? Not okay? Do you notice when people do that?

• @Arkandel said in PB 'realism':

For example if you're playing a thuggish fighter type but your model is a slender more delicate looking person, or it's a figure skater as depicted by Chris Hemsworth, etc... is that okay? Not okay? Do you notice when people do that?

I 100% notice.
    I'm not gonna call people out on it, but if someone is a strength 5 MMA fighter (without being, say, supernaturally enhanced) but they're using some really thin, reedy sort of PB... It throws me off a lot.

• Whenever someone describes themselves as attractive and then uses Tom Hiddleston as their PB I first double check to make sure they aren't playing some kind of were-ferret and then I immediately complain to staff. It's just the right thing to do. :(

• Pitcrew

loki

• I think it depends on if I'm the person coming up with the character or not. My two roster characters on Arx, I was perfectly happy with what was chosen for them, even if I ended up changing one of them so that Ember and Marina could be identical twins, able to be differentiated based on their scars and the intensity of their glowering.

When I'm making up my own character, finding a picture/person that feels "right" for what I'm working on is pretty important to me, and often will influence some part of the development process once I'm like "okay, THIS person." A lame example is one of my current characters' photos often being in workout clothes, so I made them a subscriber to the health-goth aesthetic, to the point that their immediate superior started complaining at them in scenes to dress better.

• @TheOnceler said in PB 'realism':

Whenever someone describes themselves as attractive and then uses Tom Hiddleston as their PB I first double check to make sure they aren't playing some kind of were-ferret and then I immediately complain to staff. It's just the right thing to do. :(

this, but Blueberry Cummerbund and an alien.

• @TheOnceler said in PB 'realism':

some kind of were-ferret

...how dare this not be a thing anywhere that I know of. :/

• @surreality said in PB 'realism':

@TheOnceler said in PB 'realism':

some kind of were-ferret

...how dare this not be a thing anywhere that I know of. :/

Can't this be done with CofD Changing Breeds. I swear it sounds like this is doable.

• @Seamus Probably, but... that would mean having to read that book. :/

• Pitcrew

I am yet another person who really doesn't bother to put stock in PBs, and tend to inform my mental image of another PC more from my on screen interactions with them. I could probably live on a game without need for PB or static descriptions on the pc object (easy for me, since I really don't mind people describing their PC in their entrance pose or referring to features during play, though I know that's not a universally held not-minding). I enjoy finding a PB for my PC as part of a general sense of a character. Very often it's not even really the /actor/ themselves so much as the "mood" of the picture I find, if that makes sense.

I don't really think of the PB I put for my own PCs that much once they are in play an I get more of sense of them, it's more tool (like a vague background and bullet points) for me to try and get some handle on them before I get them into play. Maybe that's why I don't get attached or repulsed by other people's PBs either, because me being a human I tend to kind of assume that people are doing the same thing I'm doing even if intellectually I know that's not so.

• Luckily, the few PCs I actively RP aren't entirely human to begin with, so I don't really have a need for a PB. When I do need a PB, I try and think of someone based off a role they have played that is similar to what I envision the character to be, that way I know this is something within their scope of what they will play. I don't TS so... that really isn't an issue for me.

• Pitcrew

I don't put a lot of stock in them.

• Pitcrew

I won't play with someone with an anime pb. Full stop.

• @tek said in PB 'realism':

I won't play with someone with an anime pb. Full stop.

same

• Pitcrew

I used to think PBs were important. Then I met a guy who would use his boner for my PBs as a sales pitch for RP; like, "Wow, your PB is so hot, we should definitely meet up and your character should be inducted into the cult mine is a leader of where I'd have total authority over you as well as an implied slavish control over your character's outlook and goals." So I guess I actually do think PBs are important, but in the opposite direction of what they probably should be: nowadays I calculate them less to represent my vision of my character than to try to convince creeps to not bother.

• @Auspice Well... I mean if it is an Anime game, doesn't that kind of.. like meet the requirements for a PB?

• I notice, and spend hours (days) fretting over, not only the overall PB, but whether the specific pictures used accurately reflect the character's style and mood. This makes PBs a lot less fun whenever I want to deviate from the norm and have a very specific look in my mind. Non modern day settings make this so much worse.

I think PBs are fine, even convenient and fun, most times. Other times, I hate them with a burning passion for a few days until I settle for something not quite right but whatever.

• @Seamus said in PB 'realism':

@Auspice Well... I mean if it is an Anime game, doesn't that kind of.. like meet the requirements for a PB?

alt text

• @Auspice said in PB 'realism':

@Seamus said in PB 'realism':

@Auspice Well... I mean if it is an Anime game, doesn't that kind of.. like meet the requirements for a PB?

alt text

Ok. You got me there....
    anime wackiness

• I played an anime game when I was a teenager. Anime pbs totally fine there.

And I think that's why I take issue with them on other games. If I'm playing a BSG game and there's random Lolita anime girl......it throws me out of things so bad.

Keep the PB at least somewhat realistic for things for the love of God. Like I get that it can be hard to find a PB in period clothing for a medieval game. I don't care if they aren't.

But a video game or anime char on a real world game just really messes with me.