ISO game suggestions please

• I'm checking out what's available and am hoping that it wouldn't hurt to put a line out here and see if anyone can offer any recommendations for a new place to try out.

My wishlist is as follows:

• Original theme/setting strongly preferred. I'm feeling burnt out on WoD and not really feeling up to a game set in some established media property universe (like Star Wars or Marvel or what-have-you).

• Coded means of conflict resolution etc. preferred, but not systems where it turns into an arms race, or where everything is so number-crunchy/rules-lawyerable that people get crazy about their +sheets.

• R rating or above preferred. Nothing against PG-13 stuff, and I'm not looking for a place where everyone's having sex in public, or whatever. I just like being able to say "fuck" and "shit" and engage with storylines that might exceed PG-13 content.

• Supportive, constructive staff/playerbase. This is really the key, key, key, key, key, key, key, key, key thing I'm looking for in a new game. I've had too many experiences where new players coming in and making their own fun is treated as like, an attack on the people who existed there previously, or other scenarios in that vein. I really want a place where being active and engaged is rewarded, rather than turned into a stumbling block that has to be overcome. (Edit: To clarify, I know that "being active and engaged" is rewarded on just about every game, but the stumbling blocks I refer to are when a new player or a group of new players comes on a game and starts having fun in ways that might not involve, require the presence of, or need the permission of the people who've been on the game already for ages. I'm sick of the dynamic I've seen play out so many times where the old-timers take newcomers doing their own thing as some kind of personal attack on them.)

Beyond the above wishlist, everything's negotiable. I don't know if there's a game that will satisfy all of the above, but if someone else DOES know, I'd be happy to hear about it.

• I am biased, 100%, but I think SGM (http://stargate.aresmush.com) satisfies 3 of your 4 requirements. It is an IP (Stargate, but branching into its own AU after the events of the movie), but FS3 provides a nice level of conflict resolution without being super crunchy.

We are R-rated. We only ask that logs that go a bit beyond (like, highly suggestive situations, uncomfortable topics, etc.) be tagged when posted. No one cares if you swear. (I do it all the time.)

And I try to be supportive as Staff, as does Paradox. I can say that the playerbase is really supportive. And we are trying to structure things to empower people to go out and pursue what they want to.

Now, for a game that probably does meet all of your asks: Gray Harbor (https://gray-harbor.com/). I don't play there personally (just not a theme I'm interested in ATM!), but they're active, original theme, and they've got a solid staff backing it all up. It also uses Ares/FS3, so it's got low-crunch conflict resolution and stats.

• Pitcrew

If you have any interest in period-settings I'd say with full encouragement, try Arx! It is a phenomenal original IP game with a lot of features for coded conflict resolution, compelling stories, a TON of players across a bunch of time zones. It's hard to find a day when something isn't going on, be it an event, a PrP or what have you. There's also coded crafting and objects if you get the creative bug and want to make pretty things. The staff are super cool, (If swamped at the moment) but the players are extremely friendly, knowledgeable and happy to support new players. You should check it out! https://play.arxgame.org/

• @AeriaNyx said in ISO game suggestions please:

If you have any interest in period-settings I'd say with full encouragement, try Arx! It is a phenomenal original IP game with a lot of features for coded conflict resolution, compelling stories, a TON of players across a bunch of time zones. It's hard to find a day when something isn't going on, be it an event, a PrP or what have you. There's also coded crafting and objects if you get the creative bug and want to make pretty things. The staff are super cool, (If swamped at the moment) but the players are extremely friendly, knowledgeable and happy to support new players. You should check it out! https://play.arxgame.org/

I'm Ember and Ronja there!

• Pitcrew

@reversed Well then you know it's awesome! :D

• Based on @Auspice pointing it out, I'm gonna give Gray Harbor a shot. Don't let me down, Gray Harbor! Also, if anyone wants to say hi there, poke Eden.