Sometimes A Great Notion

• Pitcrew

The year is 2387. The Federation is finally recovering from the disaster that was the Dominion War. The Klingon Empire, though still allies of the Federation, have eyes only for their current war with the Gorn Hegemony. Tensions between the UFP and the Romulan Star Empire are ratcheting up once again as Starfleet ships start vanishing without a trace while patrolling the Neutral Zone. Starfleet Command is worried. They smell another war.

In response, Starfleet launches an unconventional training program for an elite group of cadets, out in the darkness on the edge of the Federation frontier. The challenge? Learn the skills the academy can teach (and some that it can't) in less time than the standard Academy program.

But can one washed up former officer and her band of misfit instructors do better than Starfleet Academy?

Will the Federation, the Great Notion itself, survive what is coming?

Sometimes A Great Notion TrekMUSH is currently in development, but open for apps and "prologue" RP.

A few quick things about us:

• We are running on AresMUSH
    • We don't have coded space
    • We are set on a space station (to start with) in the style of Anomaly and Gamma One
    • We do not have coded combat.
    • We do not currently have a reports system, but may add one if the majority of players would really like to have one
    • Our stat system is FS3 with Trek flavoring.
    • We are heavily leaning towards Cadets and Instructors for our new players due to the program starting at the Academy and then heading to Outpost 838 in the coming weeks.

Our primary setting at start is Outpost 838, a Federation space station in the Psi Octantis system. Occupying a place on the thin line of stations that Starfleet has in the Beta Quadrant, it serves as a bulwark against the expansion of the Romulan Star Empire. And relations with the Empire are currently not good.

The concept we need filled the most right now is Starfleet cadet. We would like for them to be the main focus of the game and their growth over the course of the game's run and as they make their choices will determine how events unfold. Most admin will be running instructors as their characters, in part, to help drive RP for the cadets being trained.

We are, however, also accepting experienced Starfleet Officers stationed to Outpost 838 as well as civilians of the shady and not so shady varieties (we are on the frontier after all).

We are more than willing to work with you on your concept and look forward to seeing you on the game.

Our website is located at http://notionmu.com.
    Our game is located at notionmu.com port 2120.
    We also have a fancy discord at https://discord.gg/MbVGkz7 as well.

Thank you for your time and may you live long and prosper.

-Sol

• I've always kinda wanted to play Star Trek but run screaming away from implementations (for reasons). On first review of your stuff this looks kinda like my jam. Do you intend on doing fites still with some other setup without using Ares's combat code, since you say you're without any?

• Pitcrew

(No one wants reports.)

That said, I might check it out! I wax poetic about the WNO days sometimes.

• Pitcrew

@saosmash So keep in mind this can change. I'm not so dead set in my ways to ignore what a majority of the players would want, but for right now, for fights/conflict resolution I'm going strictly with a versus +roll.

If we find a way to do it better or if we decide we want to reactivate +combat and modify it for Trek purposes, none of that is off the table. I just thought I'd try a more hands on approach to start and go from there.

• Pitcrew

@Auspice (I definitely would rather not have them. But if it makes people happy... I'd consider it.)

Please do. You (and everyone else) are absolutely welcome.

• Pitcrew

@Auspice said in Sometimes A Great Notion:

(No one wants reports.)

That said, I might check it out! I wax poetic about the WNO days sometimes.

Maybe no one wants reports, but I have it on good authority that Tasha Yar was fond of Data entry.

... I'll show myself out.

• @Killer-Klown said in Sometimes A Great Notion:

Maybe no one wants reports, but I have it on good authority that Tasha Yar was fond of Data entry.

Tasha Yar was an inspirational feminist who simply did what all good women eventually do: abandon men and rely on mechanical means of sexual gratification.

• Pitcrew

@Ganymede So basically you're saying that Data isn't a self-determining person and is actually property of Starfleet?

BECAUSE THERE WAS AN EPISODE ABOUT THAT.

• @Testament said in Sometimes A Great Notion:

So basically you're saying that Data isn't a self-determining person and is actually property of Starfleet?

BECAUSE THERE WAS AN EPISODE ABOUT THAT.

No, I'm saying that Data is a machine, and therefore better at pleasing a woman.

• Pitcrew

• Pitcrew

So I just wanna say (for anyone like me >.>), that a service record is required as part of the BG for officers. It was something that always kept me from playing an officer on most games (I usually went indie for this and due to reports!).

Between doing the math on years and having to come up with ship names (or dig through lists of ship names), it was just an overwhelming thing. Lemme just write a long BG instead, dangit!

Ahem, that said, Staff is super awesome and will help you write one out. So don't let it deter you in the least to see that requirement. Just reach out to Staff, let 'em know what you're aiming for in your BG, and they will gladly help you draft one out complete with awards (& what they might've been for)!

• Tutorialist

:D

• Pitcrew

Having been on the "I need to make a service record???" end of the equation many times on Star Trek games and on BSG games, I would hate for someone to be intimidated out of playing because of something like that.

Also, I am always willing to help.

As long as I'm not completely incapacitated by a migraine or passed out at the keyboard. >.>

• Pitcrew

@Auspice said in Sometimes A Great Notion:

I wax poetic about the WNO days sometimes.

pours one out

• Pitcrew

No problem! Seven tours on the U.S.S. Argus Filch, the best damned garbage scow in the Federation. Service record sorted.

• @Bad-at-Lurking said in Sometimes A Great Notion:

No problem! Seven tours on the U.S.S. Argus Filch, the best damned garbage scow in the Federation. Service record sorted.

I’ve always wondered two things about garbage scows.

#1: Just where are they taking the garbage to?
    #2: Wouldn’t they have the biggest transporter buffers of any ship class?

• Pitcrew

@Thenomain

I would imagine a black hole. Or dimensional rifts, if the Federation are being jerks.

And in head canon for me, nope. My thought is that with transporter and replicator technology, the vast majority of waste can be broken down and reused or harmlessly dispersed as an unfocused transporter payload. But stuff like trilithium residue, spent anti-matter cells (with some tiny bit of anti-matter left in them), obsolete or damaged quantum torpedo warheads and other non-replicator friendly material has to be hauled somewhere and disposed of. Preferably at slow, steady, very safe speeds.

And in addition to wildly hazardous, usually volatile materials, they are also hugely tempting targets to pirates, smugglers, terrorists and the intelligence agencies of various competing galactic governments.

Basically garbage scows would be the least glamorous, most dangerous job in Star Fleet, with enough secrecy that few people get how crazy the job is.

• Pitcrew

@Bad-at-Lurking Yeah, now i wanna watch this. Set in the Star Trek universe with a much different vibe. Fuck off you snooty fucks in your exploratory and diplomatic vessels, we gotta get this shit to the planet we bought to use as a landfill before space terrorists rob us blind.

So like Star Trek featuring the crew from Firefly, but with shit government jobs.

Edit: Moonlighting as salavage cres for all the debris those ship battles leave behind. Where the Enterprise goes, we follow...

• alt text

• Pitcrew

It's kind of a thing, yeah - and not just headcanon; given that the history of the replicator started with them being basically molecular recyclers <from Enterprise: During an episode when they were doing a Q&A with some schoolkids back home, Trip explained that they took whatever waste they had, broke it down and rebuilt it into other things - boots, ship components, etc>. They got more advanced as the years went on (Protein resequencers, then the full on replicators of TNG) but it does indicate that the Federation doesn't make much 'garbage' to scow. Even hazardous waste was processed more efficiently (Consider Voyager's dealings with the Malon, offering to share their technology to clean up antimatter reactions) So, anything that has to be 'trashed' in that society has to be pretty special.
    That or maybe garbage scows were just a Klingon thing <since they were most famously, to me, mentioned in The Trouble with Tribbles>. Maybe it's where they stuck the houses who were on the outs. "I am Kharn, son of Kork; descended from the line of Krant who personally emptied Kahless the Unforgettable's wastebasket!"