Mobile devices and MU*

• Admin

Lately I've started to use my tablet while I watch TV to keep track if anything interesting is happening on MU*.

So! What are you guys using to connect from your mobile devices? Anything not particularly annoying, possibly with some nifty features such as highlighting strings, a nice interface for multiple tabs, etc?

Also, any non-annoying keyboards you've found? For instance the Go! Keyboard I've installed is nice for many things but utterly frustrating for MU* since some of the very common characters (such as =) are hidden several keystrokes away.

Care to share your experiences?

• Reader

I have Mukluk on my tablet. I don't use it often, but that's cuz I don't login unless I'm there to play, these days, and that means a desktop.

• Pitcrew

I use MUDRammer on my iPhone. It's the best I could find and I like it. It works in a pinch if my laptop or a borrowed tablet aren't available.

The borrowed Android tablet uses Mukluk. Seconding that one.

• Admin

Unless the interface can be much cleaner than I've seen, actually roleplaying seems impossible on even a decent tablet. The screen scrolls, there's no way to spawn channels or pages in a separate tab, and touch-typing is a pain in the ass.

I hope someone here can prove me wrong. :)

• Pitcrew

I have never tablet-played, but I use MukLuk on my phone, generally from work or just to check in when not at my desktop. I have RPed that way, but it is not the easiest. I mostly chat with my co-staffers and players.

• Pitcrew

I use MuClient, love it. On my phone, and I do successfully RP on it provided everybody involved is OK with slow. It's not too unwieldy and you can set up a bunch of shortcuts to enter things in quick (like page longnameomgkeypadtypingthisissuchanothappening=). I'd check it out.

• I can't MU on anything mobile. Even my iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard. My Air is the only acceptable portable device. I just can't do it. I don't know why. Can't. Makes me crazy.

• Pitcrew

I can't MU from my phone. I've logged on a few times, like this one time I was drunk on New Year's waiting for the bus and I basically logged on just to bitch about the bus not coming around... but other than that, no.

• At a certain point, especially with phones (I'm not a tablet-user, so idk), you're running up against the limitations of the device more than the limitations of any client. I just don't enjoy playing on my phone and my laptop is generally just as convenient when I'm actually in a headspace where I can scene.

• Coder

Mudrammer for iOS, yes.

• Tutorialist

ConnectBot to SSH into my TinyFugue. blows raspberries

• Pitcrew

Can't hang with MU*ing on mobile devices, at least not yet. For the same reasons mentioned above. I tried MUDRammer on my iPad, and even with a bluetooth keyboard (which does help, but not enough) it was just too limited for my liking.

• @Bargle
    I agree. I tried to MU* from my iPad while I was at the hospital with a family member, and I just couldn't really do it, even with an external keyboard.

• I tried all available apps for Android. Not worth it. Besides, I usually logged in for the novelty. (Oh wow! MU*ing all mobile and stuff!)

I usually chatted in channels since I only use mobile when I'm out and about. Don't have the mental focus to actually go IC when I'm not home or somewhere less, 'outsidey'.

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.